The Regina Police Department’s Street Gang Unit cracked down late last week as part of a two-month investigation into drug trafficking and possession of firearms.
On Friday, April 29, 2022, the Street Gang Unit (SGU), with assistance from Regina Drug Unit (RDU), Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) and Canine, located their prime suspect in a vehicle. This individual was believed to have a loaded firearm on him at all times. The suspect vehicle was tracked to a point east of Regina near Balgonie where a tire deflation device (studded belt) was successfully deployed. The driver attempted to continue driving on the rims of the vehicle, but had to stop. Members of SWAT and Canine performed a high-risk vehicle stop and successfully extricated five people from the vehicle without further incident. A search of the vehicle revealed: a .223 assault rifle, a .223 overcapacity magazine, a non-functional CEW (conducted energy weapon), approximately 8 grams of fentanyl, approximately 2.5 grams of methamphetamine, cellular devices and a hard drive, cutting agent and a folding knife. An additional 54 grams of fentanyl were found on one of the arrested individuals.
The following people have been arrested and charged: Kayla Ann Maurie BEDORE, 26, Jordan HARKNESS-BROWN, 28, Krystal Rose McCARTHY, 24, and Brooklynn SAINT, 22, all of Regina, as well as 30-year-old Scott BOBBETT from Calgary Alberta. The five people are jointly responsible for:
– Possession of a weapon for a purpose dangerous to the public peace, s. 88,cc;
– Unauthorized possession of a firearm, s. 91(1) CC;
– Unauthorized possession of a prohibited or restricted weapon, s. 91(2) CC;
– Possession of a scheduled substance for the purpose of trafficking, s. 5(2) CDSA; and
– Unauthorized possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle, s. 94(1) CC.
The following defendants are also individually charged with the following charges:
– Brooklynn SAINT – Flight of a peace officer, s. 320.17cc; and Failure to comply with terms of release order, s. 145(5)(a) CC.
– Scott BOBBETT – 2 X possession of firearm or ammunition contrary to prohibition order, s. 117.01(1) CC.
– Jordan HARKNESS-BROWN – 2 X possession of firearm or ammunition contrary to prohibition order, s. 117.01(1) CC. ; and 2 X Operation of a means of transport while prohibited, art. 320.18(1)(a) CC.
All five accused made their first court appearances on these charges in Provincial Court on Monday, May 2, 2022.